Tuesday, April 14, 2015


******
For those of you just starting off, simply scroll down to the stage your child is at and begin.  I start all the way at the beginning.  There is no age, simply start when you feel they are ready. 
******
Once you're in the routine of doing your work, try adding on a few other subjects.  For elementary, I wouldn't really take history or science very serious.  Let me explain.
In grade 1,
(and I'm not saying this is where you child is now, but just as an example)
they study history.
In grade 2 they do the exact same thing they did in grade 1, but a little more in depth.
In grade 3, they do the same as grade 2, but a little more in depth.
Science is the same. 
Why waste your time???
That's not to say you should drop the subject entirely.  But don't feel like you need a curriculum.  Go the the library, get books!! 
Just make it fun.
My favorite approach is "learning through TV".  I'm not discouraging reading, but maybe watch one show during snack, and another during lunch.  It's what I call, 'accidental learning'.


(For a complete set, click link attached to pic)
Watch these in order. 
This is a fun cartoon.  Kids will learn history with out even realizing they are doing school.
For science, I would recommend 'Magic School Bus'.
(for dvd click link attached to pic)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liberty+kids
If you're going to add the library into your practice, you could also get a book that has a common theme as the show.
For example:
You watch Magic School Bus for snack.  The show is about rocks and gems.
Before bed, you sit down with your child and look at a big picture book of all the different types of rocks.
Or maybe the show was about butterflies.
You read a fun, colorful picture book on butterflies together.
Still not enough?
Here are pics of some of my favorite  activities.
Order the larvae, and watch the butterflies grow! 

You can order your own frogs and watch them grow.  Best of all, if you have tadpoles anywhere in your yard,  throw them in there and do it again!


Yes, they have it:
(the pic has changed, but it's the same) 
Raise your own Chickens/ducks!
Have eggs delivered and watch them hatch.
****Just remember to have a plan of what you're going to do when they hatch.  A local feed shop will probably be able to take them if you can't raise them on your own.

You guys get the idea.  These are all ideas to get your children more involved in their science show.
Keep this in mind.  Kids learn best through what interests them.  How much more do you retain when you are interested.  I remember several tests in school.  I studied, I remembered all the facts.  I took the test.  How much did I retain? 
Next to nothing.  I had no interest in it.
Make it fun.  Accidental learning is the easiest way to teach!
Start with these two.  I will list actual books a little later.  There is no reason to overwhelm your child with a bunch of subjects.
Happy Homeschooling!!




No comments:

Post a Comment